When troubleshooting connectivity issues it can sometimes be helpful to confirm connectivity in a simpler network environment.
Note 1: The IP addresses in this FAQ only apply to factory defaulted units. Units already configured for a static IP address will have different IP address settings.
Note 2: This FAQ assumes that the ethernet port on the PC supports Auto MDIX. While almost all modern network cards support this feature, if Auto MDIX is not supported a crossover cable must be used.
The following steps can be followed to make a direct connection to a unit:
- Unplug the GC unit from power.
- Connect the GC unit via ethernet to the PC.
- On the PC set a static IP address.
- GC ethernet units by default all have an IP address of 192.168.1.70 when a DHCP server is not present. To communicate with this address a static IP address on the same subnet (192.168.1.x) must be used. We suggest using 192.168.1.60 in the "IP address" field shown in the guides below for units not configured for a static IP address.
- Static IP instructions for Windows:
- Static IP instructions for Mac:
- Power up the GC unit and wait approximately 1 minute to ensure the unit has fully booted. The IP address of 192.168.1.70 for the unit can be confirmed by running iHelp.
- Enter 192.168.1.70 in your web browser and confirm that the webpages can be reached. If the webpages load the unit is communicating on the network.